Vernonia High School Athletic Director Gordon Jarman has announced plans for an Athletic Hall of Fame at the school.
The Hall of Fame is being established for the purpose of recognizing former Vernonia High School student athletes or coaches for their outstanding achievement in athletics while attending Vernonia High School. Also eligible are outstanding community members that have contributed to the Vernonia High School athletic programs, as well as students that have graduated from Vernonia High School and have gone on to achieve outstanding recognition in athletics after they have graduated from Vernonia High School.
The official Categories for Selection are as follows:
Group one: Older athletes-those nominees that have graduated from Vernonia High School prior to ten years ago.
Group Two: Modern Day athletes-those athletes that have graduated from Vernonia High School at least five years previously but not more than ten years.
Community Members: Those members of the Vernonia Community that have, over time, exhibited by their volunteerism, dedication to Vernonia Athletics, and contributions to Vernonia Athletics, commitment beyond the normal realm of what is expected for individuals to contribute.
The Criteria for Selection is as follows:
Team Sports: Football, Volleyball, Basketball, Baseball and Softball. The inductee must meet the following criteria.
• The inductee must have graduated from Vernonia High School
• The candidate must have been out of school for at least five years before being inducted.
• The athlete must have been selected as an all-state athlete on the first or second teams or must have been selected to play in the East West shrine football game, the state all-star basketball series or in the state all-star baseball/softball series.
Individual sports: Cross Country, Wrestling, Track and Field, Equestrian, Golf. The inductee must meet the following criteria.
• Place first or second in the OSAA sponsored state meet for their sport or,
• Place first or second in the OHSET state meets or,
• Place in the top three in the state Freestyle or Greco Roman wrestling meet or
• Be selected to the Oregon Coaches Cultural Exchange wrestling team.
Nominees can be submitted to the Vernonia High School Athletic Director in writing with verifiable qualifications to be considered for induction into the Vernonia High School Athletic Hall of Fame. The Athletic Director will compile all nominations and present them to the selection committee for consideration. After the selection committee has reviewed all nominations they will determine the number and names of those to be selected to enter the VHS Hall of Fame. That number is not to exceed six individuals and one team per year.
The Selection Committee shall be made up of the following people:
• The Athletic Director,
• The High School principal or his designee,
• The president of the Vernonia Boosters or their designee,
• Two community members/ volunteers.
After the selections to the Vernonia High School Athletic Hall of Fame have been made, an induction ceremony will be held. The athletic director will contact the inductees and inform them of their selection and invite them to participate in the ceremony. Pictures of each inductee will be taken for placement on the Hall of Fame wall, and commemorative wall plaques will be provided for the inductees. The ceremony will be held away from the school site and will include a ceremonial dinner.